Hogan Test for AI
In order for a program to be considered intelligent the following questions must be answerable with a ‘yes’.
- Is the output of the program passable as human work?
- Can the program cite sources inline and create a bibliography of works cited?
- Can the program explain the reasoning behind its conclusions?
- Can the program respond “I don’t know” when it doesn’t know the answer to a question?
- Can the program explain its limitations?
- Can the program propose a conclusion that is not present in the training data used to create it?
Disclaimer: I’m an AI novice and may be completely wrong about the conclusions presented in this article. Over the past few years I’ve dabbled in machine learning. I’ve watched introductory videos explaining the underlying concepts, trained an R/C car to drive itself using computer vision, generated art, and experimented with ChatGPT.